New Jersey Overdose Data to Action (OD2A) Project funded by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), managed by the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH), is a project that focuses on essentially helping New Jersey obtain higher quality, comprehensive, and timelier overdose data to inform opioids prevention and response to:
- Decrease drug overdose rates, including prescription and illicit
- Decrease rate of opioid misuse and opioid use disorder
- Increase provision of evidence-based treatment disorder
- To increase rate of emergency department visits due to misuse or opioid use disorder
NJDOH, in collaboration with CAI will incorporate Trauma Informed Care (TIC) approaches into the culture and delivery of services provided by the Harm Reduction Centers (HRCs) and partner agencies for example Emergency Management Systems(EMS) and Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) of New Jersey, in their respective communities and counties. Training providers in the TIC is essential to transforming the culture in these provider communities, which will ultimately improve access to prevention and treatment services for individuals facing addiction.
To assure that all programs are trauma aware and recognize the dynamics and impact of trauma in the lives of individuals, families, and communities; that all programs strive to create a trauma sensitive culture by demonstrating through consumer empowerment, program design, and direct care, an understanding of the relationship between trauma and health outcomes.
Provide capacity building and technical assistance to Harm Reduction Centers (HRCs)and other Partner Agencies in the care and support agencies towards:
- Provide an educational session on trauma to all agencies to better understand the impact of trauma on their clients and themselves
- Implementation of a trauma friendly environment that addresses primary and vicarious trauma
- Integration of trauma screening and education for all clients
- Development of trauma-related referrals into existing system
- Acquisition of knowledge and skills to provide psycho-educational services to help clients achieve positive health outcomes